To filter or not to filter: An introspective

There are few things as divisive in amateur photography as the addition of filters. Most people are familiar with these pre-set tools in Instagram, where they become an almost standard fixture in every picture taken (that and an inspirational quote or two). There are even multiple apps that allow amateur smartphone photographers to achieve these effects—often meant to replicate the aesthetic appearance of vintage photographs—online. 

Image source: hyperallergic.com

Before I go any further, let’s look at the reason why the retro look exists in the first place. Much of it owes its existence to low fidelity. A long time ago, back when most photography was done on film, minor flaws present in all but the most professional-grade of cameras would sometimes cause artifacts to form in the photographs. Certain professional photographic fields such as sports photography almost make these unavoidable. Moreover, even photographs that turn out wonderful may eventually degrade with time. 

These created a signature look that the public just came to accept. Retro photos do have that je ne sais quoi that many people, amateurs among them, seem drawn to. Moreover, a lot of people are fond of presets on Instagram, reinforcing its popularity on the site. Indeed, most people who don’t particularly like them, me included, do believe that they’re simply overused and cliché. 

However, there are those that do believe that these filters don’t add anything to the photograph itself. These people argue that the practice is often used as a crutch, preventing novice photographers from creating better-composed photographs and achieving desired effects through lighting alone. 

On their own, filters are just tools; how well they work to improve photos all depend on how they’re applied. There are many legitimate situations where a retro look could be used as an artistic choice. Nonetheless, photographers should learn not to rely on them too much. 

Image source: mashable.com

My name is Ashwin Khubchandani, traveler, urban explorer, and amateur photographer. Follow my blog for more on my musings on photography.

Comments

  1. Hello everybody, I just want to give this great testimony to the whole public about a great man who helped me out of a serious illness. I have had HSV-1 AND HSV-2 VIRUS for good 2 years now and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the illness. All I have in my mind is, let me just give up because life is not interesting for me any longer and i also pray that God should accept my soul when ever I’m gone luckily for me, my kid sister run to me that she found a doctor in the INTERNET who can cure HSV-1 AND HSV-2 VIRUS. She helped me out with everything, the man asked for my details so he can prepare herbal medicine for me. After he was done consulting on my details he told me how my medicine will be prepare, after he was done preparing my medicine he sent me my medication and after using it for 7 days i later started noticing something different in my blood so I went for my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 VIRUS test and I was tested Negative, I’m so happy that I can say I’m not patient of HSV-1 AND HSV-2 anymore. If you have HSV-1 AND HSV-2 or any sickness,HIV/AID,HPV,CANCER,HEPATITIS B DIABETICS ALS,PENIS ENLARGEMENT please for your safety, contact DR.OLUTA VIA email address (dr.olutaspellcaster@gmail.com) or whats APP number +2349065326267

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A guide to traveling with your camera gear

The best camera settings for street photography

Getting involved in the community through photography